Situated at the western end of Hart House and standing 143 feet tall, the Soldiers' Tower is a memorial to the 628 members of the University of Toronto who gave their lives while on active service in 1914-1918 and to the 557 men and women lost from 1939 to 1945. It was built in 1923-24 using $397,141 raised by the University of Toronto Alumni Association (UTAA) to build a War Memorial and establish scholarships in memory of those students, faculty, staff and alumni who served in the Great War. The initial cost of the Tower and Memorial Screen, the clock and the carillon was $252,500. The interest on the surplus is still in use today for War Memorial Scholarships and for tower expenses. Carved in stone on the Memorial Screen are the ranks, names and units of those lost to the university in the First World War. The two walls of the archway record the service of the men and women lost in the Second World War.